Annunciation Heights Missionary Program
Our missionaries are at the heart and soul of our mission.
The Altum Institute Missionary program is the heart and soul of our mission here at Annunciation Heights. Our year-long missionary program is based upon growth – growth in the spiritual life, in community, in discipline, and in the boundless love of Christ. Missionaries are given a year to develop the whole person, focusing on personal growth in all areas of life while being given the tools and opportunities to develop a true servant’s heart for all of God’s children in every situation. The program is designed to be a time allotted for preparation to go out into the world equipped with the Holy Spirit, with confidence in who one is and what one is capable of accomplishing, and with an ability to bring Christ into the world in whatever area His Call leads to next.
The Altum Institute’s name is taken from an invitation Jesus gave to St. Peter on the Sea of Galilee towards the beginning of his public ministry. Jesus calls Peter to “put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch” (Luke 5:4). This call to the deep, Duc in Altum, is based on the premise that, like Peter, we must first entrust ourselves to Christ’s personal call to the deep before we can let down our nets for a catch. Only from the depths of knowing the reality of who Christ is, how he loves and forgives, could Peter fulfill the calling Jesus had for his life.
The formation of the missionary is meant to carry over into every area of life, so that even after leaving the program, the identity as “missionary” still remains and is evidenced by the way of life lived by the one who has been formed over the course of the year.
Details of the Missionary Program
Missionaries are responsible for a variety of tasks around camp. Concrete training and mentoring is given in order to prepare each person for the responsibilities allotted them.
The programs and responsibilities that the missionaries are primarily involved with are the running of JPII Outdoor Lab programs during the Spring and the Fall, Youth and Family Camps over the Summer, assistance with guest retreats throughout the year, along with a variety of other camp duties according to the camp’s immediate needs.
Work days include time for personal as well as communal prayer and Holy Mass, and all service, leadership and work assignments take place while living in a dynamic Catholic community at the beautiful base of Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Recent college graduate preferred (but not required)
- Servant’s heart and a desire to grow
- Experience and desire to teach and lead groups
- Experience with summer camps a bonus
- A desire to share faith in retreat-type setting
- Love of Jesus Christ and the Catholic faith
- Physically active and able
- Science background a bonus but not necessary
- Desire to be part of a team, live in community, work hard, and have fun
- Servent leadership training
- Room and Board
- Daily Mass, weekly Adoration
- Opportunity for confession and spiritual direction
- Meals provided when camps are in session
- Monthly stipend
- Opportunity to develop programming
- Training in mission and vision of Annunciation Heights
- JPII Outdoor Lab field instructors for middle school students
- Camp Work Crew
- Summer camp preparation, promotion, and facilitation
- Guest Group hosting
- Lead campfires, ropes challenges, games, hikes
- Prepare and give faith talks
- Lead small groups
- Some fundraising for formation expenses
Want to Join the Missionary Program?
Please fill out the form below with your contact information.
Send your resume, three letters of reference, and a cover letter to Mikaela Chandler, Assistant Program Director, at [email protected].
We look forward to hearing from you!
Missionary Interest Form
Camp Amenities and Adventures
- 1,000ft Zip Line
- Small lake with boating and fishing
- High & Low Ropes Course
- Climbing Wall
- Miniature Golf
- Volleyball & Basketball
- Gaga Ball
- Meeting Spaces
- Recreation Room
- Outdoor Chapel
- Campfire Rings
- Outdoor Pavilion
- Minutes away from hiking and mountain biking trails